Re: Hypergeometric 1F1 and numerical evaluation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18167] Re: Hypergeometric 1F1 and numerical evaluation
  • From: "Atul Sharma" <mdsa at musica.mcgill.ca>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 23:54:29 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Many thanks, as your answer was helpful. My three arguments are simple
functions of measurable quantities (dialysis and kidney clearance,
generation rates etc)  with the first two being constant and the third a
linear function of time. Typical  values are on the order of
{-15.34,-48.77,14.39}. The solution is a simple ratio of 2 hypergeometric
functions, which require evaluation of the arguments at two time points,
which changes the third input slightly. Now, these typical values return a
solution in about 0.5-1.2 seconds on a 300 MHz Pentium. This I had verified
earlier. It was when I designate one of the quantities as an unknown and use
NonLinearFit or FindMinimum to 'fit' the missing parameter that I get into
trouble. Your answer prompted me to run the NonLinearFit with the
ShowProgress option on, which demonstrated the problem, namely that I was
wandering into areas where the returned solution (ratio) was sensible, but
the numerator and denominator blew up. These iterations take ~ 15 seconds to
return a solution.

Without a way to constrain the trial solutions, I'm not sure how to address
this problem, though knowing what was happening was helpful.

Thanks again.

A. Sharma