problem with symbolic integration

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16552] problem with symbolic integration
  • From: gpenn at socrates.berkeley.edu (Gregg Penn)
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:23 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am trying to evaluate integrals of the form

Integrate[BesselJ[n,x]^2/(x-z),{x,-Infinity,Infinity}]

where z is a complex number.  When I force the integral to be
done purely numerically, it works reasonably well.  However,
when using a symbolic solution (involving Meijer G-functions)
the answer is off by a factor of 2 and also blows up for large |z|.
For example, I got nonsense answers for z=-15 I.

What's going on?  Is there a better way to evaluate this integral?

Thanks,
Gregg Penn
UC Berkeley