Re: Eliminating a "Unit"

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16581] Re: Eliminating a "Unit"
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 23:54:57 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 16 Mar 1999, Robert B. Love wrote:

> My problem stems from a function that returns a list of angles with
> some built in label like this:
>
> {92.123 Degree, 94.444 Degree, ...}
>
> When I go to graph the data it seems that ListPlot converts it to
> Radians.  Ideally I would like a way to strip the "Degree" units off
> of the list.  Alternatively, how do I make ListPlot graph the data the
> way I supply it?

Just divide out the degree as you would any Symbol.

(* Here is some data for an example *)

angles =Table[{#, Sin[#]}&[th Degree], {th, 0,360, 30}]

ListPlot[angles / Degree, AxesLabel -> {"x degrees","sin(x)"} ]

> Besides answers to my question about stripping the list, maybe some
> pointers on what to read in the 1000+ pages of the Mathematica manual
> for this technique of labeling data could be included.  Thanx in
> advance for all assistance.

See Section 1.4.9 of _The Mathematica Book_ (Third Edition).  You can
retrieve this topic from the online documentation by evaluating this
expression:

FrontEndExecute[FrontEnd`HelpBrowserLookup["MainBook", "1.4.9"]]

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.                  http://www.wolfram.com/~paulh/