Re: Animation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16577] Re: Animation
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 23:54:55 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 16 Mar 1999, Naum Phleger wrote:

>     I have a 3-D image generated on Mathematica that I would like to rotate
> on a web page.  I am first trying to rotate it with Mathematica but I am
> having trouble with the animation.  I can make a table of objects that I
> want to animate (display in rapid succession).  I load the
> Graphics`Animation` package and then use the ShowAnimation command.  I also
> can express my set of pictures with a parameter t running from 0 to 1 and
> tried using the Animate[plot,{t,0,1}] command.  Neither worked.  Both just
> displayed the pictures one at a time in a list.
>     Does the front end know how to animate?  If so what am I doing wrong?
> If not then where can I view my animation?
>     I am using Mathematica 3.0.1 for the Mac on a power PC mac clone

The package Graphics`Animation` was written to provide support for users
of the command line interface to the kernel who also used some sort of
external program for displaying the PostScript emitted by the kernel.  If,
for example, you run Mathematica on a Unix shell, and the DISPLAY
environment variable points to an X server display, then the kernel will
use a program called motifps to show the graphics.  This would be a
situation where this package would be useful.

The notebook front end provides built-in support for showing animations
based on groups of graphics cells.  A step-by-step walkthrough of how run
an animation in the notebook front end can be found in the booklet
_Getting Started with Mathematica 3.0_.  If you installed the online
documentation for Mathematica, you can retrieve the same information by
evaluating the following expression in a notebook.

FrontEndExecute[FrontEnd`HelpBrowserLookup["GettingStarted",
  "Animations and Sound (Macintosh)"]]

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com