Re: Animation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16578] Re: Animation
  • From: Martin Kraus <mkraus at theorie3.physik.uni-erlangen.de>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 23:54:56 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Naum Phleger wrote:

>     I have a 3-D image generated on Mathematica that I would like to rotate
> on a web page.

There are about three possibilities:
1) Convertion to an animated gif or QuickTime movie. Useful if the
graphics are too complex for the next two possibilities.
2) Convertion to VRML with VRMLConvert,
see http://www.ma.iup.edu/MathDept/Projects/VRMLConvert/
(not possible for animations AFAIK)
3) using my Java applet LiveGraphics3D:
see http://theorie3.physik.uni-erlangen.de/~mkraus/Live.html
The applet supports interactive rotation as well as animations
(even both things at the same time :) It has also some additional
features like stereo graphics, hyperlinks or bitmap backgrounds.

> I am first trying to rotate it with Mathematica but I am
> having trouble with the animation.  I can make a table of objects that I
> want to animate (display in rapid succession).  I load the
> Graphics`Animation` package and then use the ShowAnimation command.  I also
> can express my set of pictures with a parameter t running from 0 to 1 and
> tried using the Animate[plot,{t,0,1}] command.  Neither worked.  Both just
> displayed the pictures one at a time in a list.
>     Does the front end know how to animate?

Yes.

> If so what am I doing wrong?

You did not read the manual. ;) See the online-help:
Getting Started/Demos -> System Information -> Macintosh ->
Starting Out -> Animations and Sound

> If not then where can I view my animation?
>     I am using Mathematica 3.0.1 for the Mac on a power PC mac clone
> --
>
> Naum Phleger

There are also some tools using MathLink and OpenGL to view
and interactively rotated Mathematica graphics. (For links
see also the LiveGraphics3D homepage.)

Hope this helps

Martin Kraus