Re: Re: Precision graphics

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16718] Re: [mg16631] Re: Precision graphics
  • From: BobHanlon at aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 22:33:42 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In a message dated 3/19/99 11:13:43 PM, evansNOSPAM at gte.net writes:

>>For example, suppose I have a long  "PlotLabel" with
>>a long "AxesLabel" (on the vertical axis) then this
>>can cause these labels to be superimposed on each
>>other -- not very nice to look at.
>>Also, the length of the AxesLabel can effect the size of
>>the data plot display region; i.e. the larger the vertical axis
>>label the smaller the actual data plot.
>>Often one would like to align vertically several plots
>>and this can be quite tedious when sizes of the
>>plots are changed automatically.
>

>Speaking for myself I have dropped suggestions in the WRI box on both
>counts.
>
>(a) Horizontal tick labels that print vertically upwards to avoid
>overlapping text.
>
>(b) Menu-based graphics alignment command that uses the actual graphics
>frame rectangle (plot area) instead of the overall plot size (which includes
>text labels) to align graphics.
>
>No word back on any of this.

To keep the labels from overlapping with each other or with the tick labels,
I use line breaks  "\n".  Also, to make the plots align, make sure that all of
the labels are the same number of lines.

p1 =  Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 6}, DisplayFunction -> Identity, PlotLabel ->
      "This is a very long PlotLabel\nwhich needs to be broken up\ninto \
multiple lines\n",
	Frame -> True,  FrameLabel -> {"\nx",
        "This is a very long frame\nlabel which also needs to\nbe broken up \
and spaced\naway from the axis\n"}];

p2 =  Plot[Cos[x], {x, 0, 6}, DisplayFunction -> Identity, Frame -> True,
		PlotLabel -> " \n \nShorter PlotLabel\n",
		FrameLabel -> {"\nx", " \n \n \nShorter FrameLabel\n"}];

Show[GraphicsArray[{p1, p2}], ImageSize -> {680, 200}];

Show[GraphicsArray[{{p1}, {p2}}], ImageSize -> {386, 500}];

Bob Hanlon