Re: Equation numbers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16795] Re: Equation numbers
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 02:35:06 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 24 Mar 1999, Lars Aurdal wrote:

> How do I number equations in a Mathematica notebook (apparently it is
> possible, but I don't know specifically how to do it...)

A numbered equation can be created by clicking on the front end menu
command sequence:

	Format -> Style -> NumberedEquation

The NumberedEquation style is defined only in select style sheets, so you
won't find it under the Style submenu by default.

Here are the style sheets that are bundled with Mathematica 3.0 that
support equation numbering:

	ArticleClassic
	ArticleModern
	Classic
	Classroom
	Report

If you set your notebook to use one of these style sheets with the front
end menu command sequence:

	Format -> Style Sheet -> <style sheet name>

you'll have access to this feature.

You can also create your own styles that have autonumbering objects.  This
is not discussed in _The Mathematica Book_ (Third Edition), but you can
learn more about it by reading this notebook on MathSource (shameless
plug ;-)):

http://www.mathsource.com/Content/General/Tutorials/Programming/0209-821

--
P.J. Hinton