Re: Equation numbers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16794] Re: Equation numbers
  • From: dreiss at !SPAMscientificarts.com (David Reiss)
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 02:35:05 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <7da9kn$9j2 at smc.vnet.net>, "Lars Aurdal" <lau at ffi.no> wrote:

> How do I number equations in a Mathematica notebook (apparently it is
> possible, but I don't know specifically how to do it...)
>
> Lars Aurdal
> lau at ffi.no

The basic elements of equation numbering and referencing
that equation in a text cell are

1) choose a style sheet that has "NumberedEquation" as a
possible cell style (note that the default style sheet does not
have such a cell style) -- "Article Classic" has such a cell style

2) Type in an equation and make the cell a "Numbered Equation" cell

3) Give that cell a cell tag (call it "myEquation" for example
-- without the quotes)

4) In a text cell at the point where you want to reference the
equation in  question (the one in the cell tagged as myEquation)
choose "Make Automatic Numbering Object" from the Input menu:
a dialogue box should appear.
Click on the myEquation cell tag, and then choose NumberedEquation
from the pull-down menu

5) Close the dialogue box and the referenced equation's number
should appear at the insertion point in the text cell that you
were working in.

See also Paul Hinton's tutorial on MathSource in the
What's new section.

--David

Scientific Arts:
Creative Services and Consultation
for the Applied and Pure Sciences

  http://www.scientificarts.com

David Reiss
Email: dreiss at !SPAMscientificarts.com

Remove the !SPAM to send email