Re: Combinatorica questions!!!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20606] Re: [mg20499] Combinatorica questions!!!
  • From: Rob Pratt <rpratt at email.unc.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 02:35:36 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

An approach to problem 1 that is simpler than those already given is to
recognize that each path consists of a sequence of 14 moves, 7 of them to
the RIGHT one space and 7 of them UP one space.  Hence a path is uniquely
determined by specifying which 7 of the 14 moves are RIGHT (the rest are
UP).  We are choosing 7 objects from among 14 positions, so the answer is

Binomial[14,7]=3432

Rob Pratt
Department of Operations Research

rpratt at email.unc.edu