Multidimensional Splines/Interpolation ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20752] Multidimensional Splines/Interpolation ?
  • From: Volker Hilsenstein <volker_sio at altavista.com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 00:17:58 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for something like multidimensional Splines/Interpolation.
This is what I want to do: Given some  points of a height field h(x,y)
 (water surface; mountain range etc) I want to have a good interpolation
or the points in between (the surface is smooth, no discontinuieties)..
I figure something like multidimensional splines is what I want, but
I'm not sure whether something like this exists. There's some examples
for multidimensional interpolation in the Mathamatica Book but in those
examples you have to provide h(x,y) for all points of a grid. I have
discrete
Data, but I only can provide  h(x_i,_y_i) for some points (x_i,y_i) that
don't fill the grid ...
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated !

Cheers,
Volker