Re: LOW-PASS FILTER

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20775] Re: [mg20710] LOW-PASS FILTER
  • From: "Jordan Maclay" <jordanmaclay at quantumfields.com>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 00:22:49 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

A low pass filter is a device that removes all frequencies below some
cut-off frequency from a signal that contains many frequencies.  The
simplest example would be found in any beginning electrical circuit text,
and consists of a capacitor and a resistor. The response of the filter to an
applied voltage depends on the fact that the impedance of a capacitor goes
as 1/frequency, so that it tends to short the applied signal at high
frequencies.  A high pass filter, also made from a resistor and capacitor
allows the higher frequencies to pass.

In your case, if you want to remove the noise using a low pass filter, then
you need to add noise that is at a higher frequency than the highest
frequency of interest in your signal.

There are more complicated filters, but the simplest single pole filter that
falls off at 1 db/octave (see EE book) would work fine for you.

good luck...

Jordan MaclayJordan Maclay
Chief Scientist
Quantum Fields LLC