Why DSolve Can't Solve this Simple ODE?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg20818] Why DSolve Can't Solve this Simple ODE?
- From: Benjamin Lau <yanpan at cuhk.edu.hk>
- Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 18:14:06 -0500 (EST)
- Organization: The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Dear Sir, I am going to use Mathematica 3 to solve this differential equation: DSolve[(2-x) y'''[x]+(2x-3) y''[x]-x y'[x]+y[x]==0,y[x],x] However,it does not help me to solve this ODE But in fact,this ODE can solve explicitly by noting that Exp[x] is one of the Soln of the ODE and you can use the reduction of order to find another soln. Why mathematica can't do this? Sincerely, Benjamin Lau