FindMinimum for several variables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20836] FindMinimum for several variables
  • From: hanssen at Zeiss.de
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 03:40:51 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi, MathGroup,

FindMinimum[f, {x,x0},{y,y0}, ( ] searches for a local minimum in a function
of several variables,  x0, y0,... are the starting values for the search.

How can I use FindMinimum without having to name the components. My f  is already of the
form f[x_List] and I would like to start the search on a given starting vector. The result,
which one would normally obtain as

{x,y} /@ FindMinimum[f, {x,x0},{y,y0}, ( ][[2]] should be returned
as a vector.

The application is, when I have several minimizing problems with different number
of parameters. I have found a way to construct names for the variables
from strings using ToExpression, but I am looking for a more elegant
solution for this problem.

kind regards

Dipl.-Math. Adalbert Hanszen