RE: Q: smooth 3Dplot with big mesh

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20865] RE: [mg20837] Q: smooth 3Dplot with big mesh
  • From: "Ersek, Ted R" <ErsekTR at navair.navy.mil>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 01:09:41 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

pc237.mechanik.tu-darmstadt.de   wrote:

> I need to plot this function (Cylindrical Coordinates)
>
> Sin[5 f]
>
> So i load the package <<Graphics`ParametricPlot3D` an use
>
> CylindricalPlot3D[
>   Sin[5 f],
>   {r,2,4},
>   {f,0,2 Pi}
> ]
>
> I would like to have a smooth curve, so i add
>
> PlotPoints -> 100 (ok now its real smooth ;-)
>
> but now there is an ugly black mesh drawn on the
> graphic. I can't see anything. Is there a way to
> make a smooth plot with y cylindrical mesh
> having reasonable spaces (e.g. drawing the mesh
> for every 6th calculatet point or something like that)

-----------------------------------

I can't figure out how to show a mesh for every 6th point or anything like
that and get a nice looking graphic.

However, you can prevent the display of a mesh by putting EdgeForm[] at the
beginning of the list of Graphics3D primitives that CylindracalPlot3D
returns. The code below will do this for you.  If you aren't familiar with
EdgeForm you should read about it on my web page.

In[2]:=
plt1=CylindricalPlot3D[Sin[5f],{r,2,4},{f,0,2 Pi},
  PlotPoints->100,DisplayFunction->Identity];

In[3]:=
plt2=Insert[plt1,EdgeForm[],{1,1}];

In[4]:=
Show[plt2,DisplayFunction->$DisplayFunction];

(* Graphics3D not shown. *)

By the way SurfaceGraphics and functions that return SurfaceGraphics have
options Mesh, MeshStyle to do this sort of thing.  I think Graphics3D and
any functions that return Graphics3D should have these options. If that was
the case we could get the result above by simply using
CylindricalPlot3D[... ,Mesh->False].

Regards,
Ted Ersek

For Mathematica tips, tricks see