Re: dummy index list

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20275] Re: [mg20256] dummy index list
  • From: "Andrzej Kozlowski" <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 02:19:51 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I shall only attempt to answer question 1. First, the code you sent is
incorrect. I assume that you meant:
In[1]:=
testlist = {a, -b, c, -d};

In[2]:=
Cases[Flatten[testlist, Infinity, Times], _Symbol]
Out[2]=
{a, b, c, d}

You can get the same result somewhat quicker with:

In[3]:=
DeleteCases[testlist, -1, Infinity]
Out[3]=
{a, b, c, d}

This code works because of the OneIdentity attribute of Times, which means
that Times[a] is just a. Moreover, this code has a certain advantage over
yours (probably irrelevant for your needs) in that it will also work in
cases like

In[9]:=
testlist = {a^2, -b^2, c, -d};

here your code gives

In[10]:=
Cases[Flatten[testlist, Infinity, Times], _Symbol]
Out[10]=
{c, d}

while

In[11]:=