Re: Mathematica 4.0.1 Front End crashes my Mac

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20323] Re: Mathematica 4.0.1 Front End crashes my Mac
  • From: "Andrew Cunningham" <andrewc at vasci.com>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 20:20:48 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The problem that I found was definitely related to the "Instant Palm
Desktop" extension, v2.1. Disabling it made all the crashes with Mathematica 4.0.1
go away.

I recently downloaded the v2.5 of Palm Desktop. Unfortunately it seems that
the problem still exists, though not quite in the same form. Although
running Mathematica 4.0.1 does not cause my Mac to  immediately crash as it did
before, the "Finder" quit soon after. I then disabled "Instant Palm Desktop"
and again all the symptoms went away.

I would also avoid using GoMac 2.0.2. It introduced a lot of system
instability.

This issue seems to be related to 'patching' the menu handling of the MacOS.
Maybe Mathematica 4.0.1 is doing something "illegal". Or maybe it is showing up
someone else's problem in patching.

Andrew

--

Andrew Cunningham