Want to plot list with modified x-axis.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20440] Want to plot list with modified x-axis.
  • From: iioannou at u.washington.edu (I. Ioannou)
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 00:33:18 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi all,

I've been trying to plot a list which comes out of a table (a string of
10K numbers basically) with modified x-axis. If I were to "listplot", I'd
get the x-axis to go from 0 to 10,000. I want to scale that by a physical
factor and plot that way instead.

I tried ParametricPlot[{physicalfactor*n,mylist[[n]],{n,1,10000}] but
nothing good happened. Just a lot of error messages. (Part::pspec, and
ParametricPlot:pptr)

By the way, what's the easiest way to debug using these error messages?
Like enter into the sequence of things that mathematica does and identify
where the error came from in detail?

Back to my original question, how can I generate these plots? I also tried
the standard Plot function. However, my function has a lot of sharp
(resonant) features (Bessel functions) and I don't seem to be able to tell
Mathematica to plot it properly. I need to fiddle with MaxBend,
PlotPoints, PlotDivision. Any clarification on these would be wellcome, as
the help files don't seem entirely clear to me.

Thanks, John
--
      Ioannis   I    Ioannou                   phone: (206)-543-1372
      g-2 group, Atomic Physics                fax:   (206)-685-0635
      University of Washington        e-mail: iioannou at u.washington.edu