Re: Matrices-in-functions question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20486] Re: Matrices-in-functions question
  • From: "Stephen P Luttrell" <luttrell at signal.dra.hmg.gb>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 02:04:51 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> Here is a simple one, but I can't work it out.
>
> I would like to be able to define a function this way:
>
> z=mat[[1]][[1]] a + mat[[1]][[2]]
>
> without specifying what "mat" is explicitly. I would evaluate it later
this
> way:
>
> z/.mat->somePredefinedMatrix
>
> Of course, Mathematica complains about the definition (Part specification
mat[[1]] is
> longer than depth of object) ... is there a way to make this fly?

I think this solves your problem:

z[mat_, a_] := mat[[1]][[1]] a + mat[[1]][[2]]

Use := rather than = to maintain the right hand side in unevaluated form
until the left hand side is actually used.

--
Stephen P Luttrell
Signal Processing and Imagery Department

+44 (0)1684 894046 (tel)
+44 (0)1684 894384 (fax)
luttrell at signal.dera.gov.uk (email)