Re: Font problems running remotely

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20399] Re: Font problems running remotely
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 00:32:52 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 17 Oct 1999, William F. Campbell wrote:

> When I type xset q, I am informed that the font path is
> Font Path:
>   c:/inet20/xwin32/lib/fonts/misc,c:/inet20/xwin32/lib/fonts/75dpi
>
> This leads me to believe that the fonts must exist on the Windows box,
> and that I need to tell XWin32 where they are.

This is the correct conclusion.  The only exception is when the X server
supports the retrieval of fonts from an X font server running on your
network.  See the book _X Window System User's Guide_ by Quercia &
O'Reilly for more information.

> So I put them in the
> c:/inet20/xwin32/lib/fonts/ directory.  But they don't end in .fon,
> like the other fonts, or .bdf or .pcf, which the XWin32 documentation
> seems to want.  They end in .pfa (same as on the UNIX box), or .ttf
> (True Type fonts), and I get an error when I try to add them to the
> fontpath and run XWin32 ("Failed to add to font path, or some such")

The files with .pfa extensions are Type 1 fonts.  It is highly unlikely
that your X server supports this format.  Most PC-based X servers do not.
You will need to download the BDF format font files in
SystemFiles/Fonts/X.  Be sure to review your X server's documentation to
see if you need to update a font database file like fonts.dir after adding
fonts to a directory.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com