Avoid long output, Real variables?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20424] Avoid long output, Real variables?
  • From: bergervo at prl.philips.nl (Bergervoet J.R.M.)
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 00:33:08 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Is it possible to tell Mathematica that a variable, x, is Real?
I am looking for commands like those of some competing vendor:
  assume(x, real)
  assume(x>0)
If I cannot declare x to be Real, I get clumsy answers. For
instance, a Fourier transform which for real x is just:

  2 BesselK[0, x Sign[x]]

gives me instead a pretty long answer where the actual solution
for real x is hardly recognizable between the rest:

  In[4]:=Integrate[E^(I*k*x)/Sqrt[1+k^2]/(2*Pi), {k,-Infinity,Infinity}]

  Out[4]= If[Im[x] == 0, 2 BesselK[0, x Sign[x]],

                    I k x
      Integrate[------------, {k, -Infinity, Infinity}]] / (2 Pi)
                          2
                Sqrt[1 + k ]
  In[5]:=

And it can get worse if several variables are involved. So I really
hope that someone can teach me how to declare them Real (or positive).

Thanks in advance,
Jos