Enumerating Permutations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20006] Enumerating Permutations
  • From: "Vic Fanberg" <fanberg at email.msn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 02:40:38 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am looking for an algorithm for determining the Nth permutation (P) of a
group T.  I don't really care the ordering of the permutations within T, as
long as all the permutations of P are members of T exactly once.  (Each
element of the permutation P is unique.)

Actually, each of the permutations are only 7 digits long and I could list
all 5040 permutations in a file about 35K, but I was hoping for something a
little cleaner, in case I change to 8 or 9 digits long later.

Does anyone know of such an algorithm?

Sorry I don't have the math background to phrase the question any better.
But I would very much appreciate any help or references you can point me to.

Vic