Re: Command to get a notebook's directory?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22945] Re: Command to get a notebook's directory?
  • From: Dan Warren <drdanw at my-deja.com>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 02:54:29 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I ran into the same problem.  The reason this seemingly simple problem
is difficult to resolve is the directory for the notebook is a front
end property; the kernel knows nothing about it.

With Allan Hayes' help at last year's Mathematica in the Mountains, I
wrote the following front end function:

------ snip --------------

ThisNotebookDirectory::usage = "ThisNotebookDirectory[] returns the
directory of the file containing the current notebook.  If the file has
not been saved, the current working directory is returned.\nIntended
usage is SetDirectory[ThisNotebookDirectory[]]."

nbdir::"nofile" = "This notebook has not been saved.";

ThisNotebookDirectory[] :=
Block[{info = NotebookInformation[InputNotebook[]]},
	If[FreeQ[info, "FileName", {2}], Message[nbdir::nofile];
Directory[],
     ToFileName[First["FileName" /. info]]]];

--------------- snip ----------------

I put this in my init.m and put the line

SetDirectory[ThisNotebookDirectory[]];

at the top of each notebook that needs local file access.  This was my
first front end function; there's probably room for improvement.

In article <8chbfk$9dm at smc.vnet.net>,
  "Jordan Rosenthal" <jr at ece.gatech.edu> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This seems like a pretty simple question, but I am having the hardest
time
> finding the answer.  Let's say I save a notebook in a directory called
> "c:\myfiles\mynotebooks".  Is there a command I can use from within
this
> notebook to determine this directory?
>
> The purpose is to have an Export command that is able to export data
to the
> same directory in which the notebook is saved.  If I move the
notebook, I
> don't want to have to manually change the Export command.
>
> The Directory[] command gives the working directory, which is not
> necessarily the same as the notebook's directory.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jordan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.