Re: puzzle 15

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24840] Re: puzzle 15
  • From: "Ira D. Baxter" <idbaxter at semdesigns.com>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 03:04:09 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Being interpretive, Mathematica isn't particularly fast.
That explains about a factor of 100x.
For exhaustive search, you want a good compiler.
For this kind of search, you'd ideally go parellel.
That would buy a N-way speedup for N CPUs.

We've done this with our own parallel programming language,
http://www.semdesigns.com/Products/Parlanse/index.html.
We have a 15-puzzle solver coded in Parlanse that finds typically 50-move
optimial solutions on an 8-way
SMP 200Mhz Pentium Pro in roughly 23 seconds.

This language is used to implement a parallel rewriting system, too.

--
Ira Baxter, Ph.D., CTO  idbaxter at semdesigns.com 512-250-1018x140
Semantic Designs, Inc., www.semdesigns.com FAX 512-250-1191

news:8n7qol$1l6 at smc.vnet.net...