Opening files

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24868] Opening files
  • From: "Tom De Vries" <tdevries at shop.westworld.ca>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 04:45:45 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello all,

I teach math for an online high school and this year some students are using
Mathematica to do work and send me files.  Sometimes I get files that
Mathematica does not recognize.  If I open the files with Microsoft Word and
then save them as text files I can then open them just fine with Mathematica.  I am
using a Macintosh (iMac) and these files are coming from students with PC's.
 What settings in which control panels, etc.  would I  need to check to
insure I can open up these files when they are sent to me?  Or is there
something the students need to do on their end?

It is not a big problem as I can always get the files to open, but I figure
I must be able to do it without the intermediate step.

Thanks for any help you might provide,

Tom De Vries
Alberta, Canada