Check[] *and* Off[]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21887] Check[] *and* Off[]
  • From: Paul Howland <paul.howland at nc3a.nato.int>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 22:54:43 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Thanks for all those who responded to my previous question.  Now a new,
unrelated one.

I have a function which uses the FindRoot function.  Occasionally
FindRoot fails to converge, as there really is no solution.  To trap
this occurence, I have wrapped the call to FindRoot in the Check[]
function.  If an error in FindRoot occurs, I trap it, and substitute a
Null solution into the list I am generating.  Everything works
beautifully so far.  However, I don't want Mathematica to print error
messages all over my screen every time this occurs!!  I'm dealing with
the problem!!  However, the manual says that Check[] will not trap
errors that have been disabled with Off[].  So, it seems there is no way
to silently trap an error message.  Is this true?

Paul.