Re: Check[] *and* Off[]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21894] Re: Check[] *and* Off[]
  • From: Paul Howland <paul.howland at nc3a.nato.int>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 22:54:52 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Well... before anyone wastes their breath trying to answer my question
about whether it is possibly to "silently" trap an error message using
Check[], I have found the way to do it.  And it is trivial.  All you
need do is temporarily redefine the messages channel.

So, the answer is, do this:

    messagechan=$Messages; $Messages={};
    Check[myfunction[], myerrfunction[]];
    $Messages=messagechan;

and the screen no longer fills up with unwanted error messages.  The
only slight disadvantage of this approach is that *all* error messages
are lost, so if you are trying to Check[] for specific messages only,
then you won't see the messages you're not trapping.  I guess in this
situation you might want to re-direct $Messages to a file instead.

Paul