getting radial data into a cartesian grid

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22124] getting radial data into a cartesian grid
  • From: "R. Lopez-Aleman" <lopez at phys.psu.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 02:34:40 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

This appears to be a simple problem, but I'm getting nowhere fast. I'm
evolving gravitational wave emission from a perturbative code and it gives the
output as a file of (r, theta, amplitude) set. I want to graph it on
Mathematica as a (x,y,amplitude) surface so that the spherical wave
propagation out of the center can be seen more clearly.

Since the grid is not too fine, converting the (r,theta) data into (x,y) just
gives a few radial lines. I wanted to use Interpolation[data] to get an
Interpolating function that would approximate the wave and graph it with
Plot3D. But Interpolation gives an error saying that "the number of points do
not match the object in Dimension 2". Is there any way to manipulate the polar
data into a Cartesian graph so that it looks like waves flowing out of the
black hole in an animation?

  Ramon Lopez-Aleman       Physics Dept
Center for Gravitational Physics and Geometry
     Pennsylvania State University
320-J Osmond Lab  email: lopez at phys.psu.edu
     http://www.phys.psu.edu/~lopez