Re: Mathematica formulae as Word metafiles

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22225] Re: Mathematica formulae as Word metafiles
  • From: "Hans Michel" <hans at dorsai.org>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 02:35:09 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Atul
META files have a way of changing depending on what platform they are
ported to.  And in Word you should watch for Metafiles pasted near the
borders; they have a tendency to get corrupted for lack of a better term.

Atul Sharma <atulksharma at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:88g656$4n4 at smc.vnet.net...
> I have a need to share work with colleagues who do not have Mathematica
and
> have little interest in downloading MathReader. In the past, I would save
> formulae as GIFs and paste them into Word, but the appearance is rather
> crude (jagged). I was delighted to find the metafile format (Mathematica
4.0, Word
> 97) works fine on my PC, but when I share it with others by either email
or
> diskette, it is a garbled mess. Parentheses/braces are dropped or appear
> many sizes too large or have added elements (like "|").
>
> Is anyone else having this problem, or am I doing something bone-headed?

First No. I don't know any MathReader intolerant people.

The second : Options:

You should save the file as HTML from Mathematica. Word 97 should open up
HTML files. Better yet they can use a browswer.

Save your selection as a bitmap and paste into Word.

Additionally, Word uses a rudementary version of MathType equation editor.
If you wish to stick to Word 97 then look into Word's Equation Editor
importing tex.

> A. Sharma

> Atul Sharma MD, FRCP(C)
> Pediatric Nephrologist,
> McGill University/Montreal Children's Hospital

Hans Michel