Re: Mathematica formulae as Word metafiles

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22237] Re: Mathematica formulae as Word metafiles
  • From: Eckhard Hennig <hennig at itwm.uni-kl.de>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 01:33:36 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Atul Sharma schrieb in Nachricht <88g656$4n4 at smc.vnet.net>...
>I have a need to share work with colleagues who do not have Mathematica and
>have little interest in downloading MathReader. In the past, I would save
>formulae as GIFs and paste them into Word, but the appearance is rather
>crude (jagged). I was delighted to find the metafile format (Mathematica
4.0, Word
>97) works fine on my PC, but when I share it with others by either email or
>diskette, it is a garbled mess. Parentheses/braces are dropped or appear
>many sizes too large or have added elements (like "|").

Atul,

I don't think that your colleagues will get away without downloading
MathReader because if they don't have the MathXXX fonts installed, your
metafiles will not display correctly on their computers. So you have to send
them all Mathematica fonts as well. However, as this may constitute an
infringement of WRI's copyright, downloading MathReader is the best
solution.

Apart from the missing fonts, there appear to be some extra problems with
metafile display on Windows PC's with different default printer types. For
example, if you generate a Mathematica metafile on a PC whose default
printer is a PostScript printer, then you will be likely to encounter
problems with displaying the metafile on another PC with a non-PS printer,
say an ink jet printer. The reason for this behavior seems to be that with a
PS printer installed, formulas in metafiles will be printed in standard PS
fonts such as Courier or Times, which non-PS systems sometimes fail to map
back to the Windows fonts Courier New and Times New Roman (please correct me
if I'm wrong, but these are my suspicions). The opposite way seems to work
correctly, i.e. generate metafile on non-PS PC and display on PS PC.

Yet another point: When I use the "Copy as metafile" feature in the Mathematica
frontend, I usually run into some nasty problem that these images are not
clipped correctly when pasted into a word processer (I'm using FrameMaker
under Windows NT4). The solution to this problem is to convert the cell to
be copied to a metafile using the corresponding frontend menu item, then
saving the image as enhanced metafile, and reimporting the .emf file into
the word processor as standard Windows Metafile (NOT Enhanced MF, this may
crash your system - at least it does with FrameMaker)

-- Eckhard

Dipl.-Ing. Eckhard Hennig      mailto:hennig at itwm.uni-kl.de
Institut fuer Techno- und Wirtschaftsmathematik e.V. (ITWM)
Erwin-Schroedinger-Strasse,  67663 Kaiserslautern,  Germany
  Voice: +49-(0)631-205-3126    Fax: +49-(0)631-205-4139
    http://www.itwm.uni-kl.de/as/employees/hennig.html

     ITWM - Makers of Analog Insydes for Mathematica
        http://www.itwm.uni-kl.de/as/products/ai