Retaining bold characters in an expression

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22244] Retaining bold characters in an expression
  • From: Tom Burton <tburton at brahea.com>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 01:33:44 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In Input cells, I have been considering using bold-weight fonts to indicate
a tensor (lower-case indicates rank(order) 1, upper-case indicates
rank(order) 2). (I have changed the Input style to default to standard
weight, so that locally bolded symbols stand out.)  This technique
conflicts with my desire to use TraditionalForm.

TraditionalForm is much easier for non-Mathematica users to read, but it's
not safe to edit. So I always switch temporarily back to StandardForm to
edit, then return to TraditionalForm. My problem is that font weight (and
color and several other display attributes, I suppose) are lost during
convertion by the engine.

A related issue is that differential font weights are lost as Input is
processed into Output.

Can anyone suggest a workaround for this problem. So far, my solution has
been to use an ornament (e.g., over-\[RightVector]) instead of font weight.

Thanks,

Tom <http://www.brahea.com>