Re: NoteBook Styles in 4

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21780] Re: NoteBook Styles in 4
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 22:57:02 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Don McKenzie Paul wrote:

> I have a notebook from someone or other which seems to have the new
> Input styles set to TraditionalForm. I have tried editting the style
> sheet , changed options and defaults etc. but I can't get it to give me
> StandardForm when I open a new Input cell.

It is probably due to the settings for CommonDefaultFormatTypes, i.e.,

  CommonDefaultFormatTypes->
    {"Input"->TraditionalForm, "Output"->TraditionalForm}

Here is one way to change these settings:

[1] Open the StyleSheet for the Notebook
[2] Open the Notebook Options section
[3] Select one of the

  Modification for Style "Notebook" ...

cells in this section.
[4] Examine the options for this cell using

    Format | Option Inspector...

Make sure that you are looking at option values for "selection".
[5] Type in Default into the lookup field and hit return. Each time you
will
jump to another option containing Default. You should soon encounter
the CommonDefaultFormatTypes settings.
[6] Amend the "Input" and "Output" FormatTypes as required.

> Would someone care to walk me through correcting this local difficulty.

Personally, as someone who uses TraditionalForm exclusively, I encourage my

students to get used to this format by using the above settings for in the
StyleSheets
for my course Notebooks. To me, TraditionalForm is much nicer than
StandardForm,
because it is easier to read and understand: Matrices look like matrices
and other
functions look like those in textbooks.

Cheers,
    Paul