List of patterns for which a function is defined?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24378] List of patterns for which a function is defined?
  • From: "Roger Wilson" <roger.wilson at nomura.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 23:13:18 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have a function b which I define explicitly for a set of input values.

a[1]=4; a[2]=5; a["cat"]="sam";

If I type ??a I get the usual listing of the definition of a but how do I
get a list of the values or patterns for which a is defined?

ListOfPatternsDefined[a]
{1,2,"cat"}

In python this would be a.keys() but in Mathematica I'm stuck?

Any ideas?

Roger.

Roger Wilson, Quantitative Analysis Group | roger.wilson at nomura.co.uk
<mailto:roger.wilson at nomura.co.uk>
Nomura International plc, Nomura House | Phone: +44 020 7521 2373
1 St. Martin's-le-Grand, London EC1A 4NP | Fax:   +44 020 7521 3676
Any views or opinions presented are solely those
of the author and do not necessarily represent those
of Nomura or any of its affiliates.
Nomura International PLC is a member of the
London Stock Exchange and is regulated by The Securities and
Futures Authority.