Why Does AbsoluteOptions Not Tell about all Automatic?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24504] Why Does AbsoluteOptions Not Tell about all Automatic?
  • From: Adalbert Hanssen <hanssen at Zeiss.de>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 03:01:44 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi, MathGroup,

according to the online help:

	"AbsoluteOptions[expr] gives the absolute
	settings of options specified in an
	expression such as a graphics object.
	AbsoluteOptions[expr, name] gives the
	absolute setting for the option name.
	AbsoluteOptions[expr, {name1, name2, ... }]
	gives a list of the absolute settings for the
	options namei.
	AbsoluteOptions[object] gives the absolute
	settings for options associated with an
	external object such as a NotebookObject."

I have created a ContourGraphics and I want to
see the actual used values for options
which default to Automatic etc.

I use (Out[230] is the ContourGraphics Object):

AbsoluteOptions[%230]

and get

	{... AxesOrigin -> Automatic, AxesStyle -> Automatic,
	 Background -> Automatic, ColorFunction -> Automatic, ...,
	 ColorOutput -> Automatic, ..., ContourStyle -> Automatic,
	 DefaultColor -> Automatic, ..., FrameStyle -> Automatic,
	 FrameTicks -> Automatic, ImageSize -> Automatic, ...
	 PlotRegion -> Automatic, ..., Ticks -> Automatic, ...
	}

I put ...., where the options' settings were given.
Why this? I thought, AbsoluteOptions gives the actual
settings for options used internally by Mathematica
when the setting given is Automatic or All!

kind regards

Dipl.-Math. Adalbert Hanszen