Re: ExponentFunction

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24511] Re: [mg24451] ExponentFunction
  • From: "Atul Sharma" <atulksharma at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 03:01:48 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Stan Wagon (Mathematica in Action, Telos 1997) defined a nice function which
outputs the results of FactorInteger in prime factor-exponent form.
Modifying it slightly to include the dot separator gives a pretty output:

displayFactorInteger::usage =
    "displayFactorInteger[f] displays the list f, of the form returned by \
FactorInteger, as a list of individual prime factors with superscripted \
exponents separated by a dot." ;

displayFactorInteger[l_] := SequenceForm @@
( (DisplayForm[RowBox[{#1, "."}]] & ) /@
(MapThread[
If[#2 == 1,
If[Head[#1] === Complex,
StringJoin["(", ToString[#1], ")"],
ToString at #1], SuperscriptBox[ToString at #1, #2]] &,
Transpose[l]]));

In[2]:=FactorInteger[100!] // displayFactorInteger

Atul