Round off or up

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23758] Round off or up
  • From: jikairf at aol.com (JikaiRF)
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 01:09:54 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear members of MathGroup,
        I have a trouble manipulating Mathematica.

My trouble is as follows:
Consider a fractional number and transform it into decimals.  In this case,
there could be left many decimals.  Then, I need to round the third decimal
point as follows:
        If they are larger than six digits, it should be rounded up from the third
decimal points and rounded off if smaller than five.
        Take examples;
        1/17= 0.05882...  the fractional number should be expressed as 0.06.
        1/18= 0.0555...   the fractional number should be expressed as 0.05.

        I'd like to know how to program Mathematica to depict the above story.

        I hope to receive answers from you soon.

                Sincerely,
                Fujio Takata

                P.S. My e-mail address; JikaiRF at aol.com