Re: NDSolve error message: Can't find starting value ...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23768] Re: NDSolve error message: Can't find starting value ...
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 02:59:14 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

for a second order equation you have to supply the
function value R[x] *and* the first dervative R'[x],
or R[x1] and R[x2] ...
but never a second derivatives like R''[-3].

NDSolve[] will not able to solve a equation with a
DiracDelta[] function because the numerical methods
require Lipschitz continuous right hand sides.

You should have a look in some undergraduate mathematics
books *before* you use Mathematica.

Regards
  Jens