RE: Functional Expression Meaning (was:A Functional Expression Trick)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23931] RE: Functional Expression Meaning (was:[mg23859] A Functional Expression Trick)
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 00:57:12 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
> Dear David and Hartmut,
> I have come across some problems with Hartmut's solution, toFunc,
> as written
> up by David.
> I offer new version, toFunc2

Dear Allan and Hartmut,

Allan's solution is more robust than Hartmut's, but it leaves out the case
of pure functions in short form, using slot numbers directly. So I added an
extra rule for that case. Here is it:

toFunc::usage =
    "toFunc[expr] will convert an expression of pure functions into a pure \
function.";
toFunc[expr_] :=
  ReleaseHold[Function @@ ({expr} /.
          (F_ /; F === Function)[vars_, body_] :>
            Apply[F[vars, Hold[body]],
              Slot /@ Range[Last[Dimensions[Unevaluated[{vars}]]]]
                ]
          /. (F_ /; F === Function)[ body_] :> Hold[body]
        )]

I think this is a very useful routine. Thanks to both of you.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/