Manipulating List Elements In Programs

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23940] Manipulating List Elements In Programs
  • From: Buz Barstow <buz at sys-j25.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 00:57:25 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I'm trying to write a program in Mathematica to automatically plot graphs
from text files that I've generated with a C program. It looks in the
working directory, and retrieves a list of all files with a .dat extension;

files = FileNames["output*.dat"]

Then, it gets the number of entries in that list;

l = Length[files]

And then uses this information to import each file individually and do a
ListPlot with each list;

For[i = 1, i <= l, i++,
  z = Import[ files[[i]]];
  title = z[[1]];
  lab = z[[2]];
  Delete[z, {1, 2}];
  ListPlot[z, AxesLabel -> lab, PlotLabel -> title] ]

At the top of each output file there is a heading that I want to use as the
plot's title and two column headings that I want to use to label the axes.
Unfortunately, I can retrieve them and label the plot, but I can't delete
them, so when I include the title, I can't produce the plot.

Does Mathematica prevent the programming calls deleting things, or am I
missing something?

Thanks in advance,

Buz