Re: Are notebooks platform dependent ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23918] Re: Are notebooks platform dependent ?
  • From: paulh at wolfram.com (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 00:56:58 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <8i9o3b$29f at smc.vnet.net>,
 Madhusudan Singh <chhabra at eecs.umich.edu> writes:

>     I am facing a *very* curious problem. I have Mathematica 4.0 running
> in my office on two machines - one Debian Linux and the other Sun OS
> 5.6.
>     In addition, I have Mathematica 4.0 for Students running at home on
> Red Hat Linux.
>
>     I have a notebook that compiles on the two Linux systems but chokes
> up on errors like (not a valid variable :-) ) on the Sun OS machine.
> Same notebook, no changes, just ftp'ed. One thing that I notice is that
> the notebook shows much more spacing on the Sun machine (a possibly
> relevant fact).
>
>     Any ideas on what is going on and how it might be fixed ?

Mathematica notebooks may be transferred easily between platforms.
The syntax is uniform, and the format is 7-bit ASCII.

The only factor that limits total portability is whether the
notebook's author chooses to store graphics using platform
specific mechanisms.  This would happen if an end user were
to insert a PICT (MacOS) or Metafile (Windows) image.  Portability
can be regained by selecting these cells and using the front end
menu command Cell -> Convert To -> Bitmap.  The images are then
converted to a Mathematica-specific, device independent raster
graphics format.  Another limitation is in cells which contain
OLE (Windows) data from inserted objects.

It is not easy to say what is causing the problem.  You may want
to set the transfer mode for your FTP session to binary since
both Linux and SunOS use the same end-of-line convention for
text files (raw linefeeds).

It may help for you to post the _exact wording_ of the error
messages you encounter.  This will help us to determine whether
it is due to a mangling of the data or a different issue altogether.

You may also want to look over the code in the notebook to make
sure that your code does not depend on any Mathematica packages
that may not be installed on the Sun machine.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.