Re: Syntax error using (*comments*)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23960] Re: Syntax error using (*comments*)
  • From: paulh at wolfram.com (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 03:00:43 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <8icco2$9om at smc.vnet.net>,
 Grischa Stegemann <Stegemann at Physik.TU-Berlin.DE> writes:

> (It seems that my first posting didn't made it through to other
> news-servers, thus I have to try it again. Sorry if this will lead to
> an annoying double-posting.)

This newsgroup is moderated, so it may take a few days for the article
appear pending approval by the moderator.

> I just encountered a silly problem with the Mathematica 3.0 frontend
> on a Linux system.
>
> Typing a simple cell including a comment like
>   In[1]:= 4+3 (*guess what*)
> and evaluating it results in the following output:
>   Out[1]= 4+3 Null
>
> Furthermore, adding a comma to the comment, e.g.
>   In[2]:= 4+3 (*9, more or less*)
> brings up this:
>   Out[2]= Syntax::"sntxf": "(*" cannot be followed by "9, more or
>   less*)"
>
> To me this seems to be pretty inexplicable, isn't it?

Sounds as if your cells may have invisible characters or malformed
box structures that affect the notebook's evaluation.  Can you try
the following for me?

1) Open a notebook which has a cell behaving as you describe.

2) Select the bracket of one of the cells that misbehaves.

3) Perform the following front end menu command:

Edit -> Copy As -> Cell Expression

4) Post the content you just copied to the clipboard.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.