Re: Fonts & Printing

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23965] Re: Fonts & Printing
  • From: paulh at wolfram.com (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 03:00:47 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <8icdmk$9tj at smc.vnet.net>,
 Roger Jones <rmj at slac.stanford.edu> writes:

> When printing the brackets fonts () and [] are not printed on an HP
> Laserjet
> postscript printer (unless I set FormatType->OutputForm).  This
> is some font incompatibility problem with MS windows fonts
> and thus I wonder if it is possible to fix this problem by copying over
> the mathematica fonts to the windows font directory?
>
> Another solution I found was to open up the EPSTIFF files I generated
> with mathematica and save them with Adobe Photoshop as EPS files
> (this appears to force all font to be saved with the image).   Is there
> a method
> to force Mathematica to save the fonts also?
>
> Yet another solution would be to download the fonts to the printer but
> as the printer
> is a network printer then this turns out to be not a convenient
> solution.
>
> Any ideas would be very much appreciated,

It would be helpful if you could clarify what you mean by
"printing", but in your subsequent remarks, I suspect that you
are exporting Mathematica graphics as EPS files and then inserting
them into other documents with other tools.  If downloading the fonts
to the printer is inconvenient, and you are willing to live with
somewhat bloated EPS files, you may want to consider using the
emmathfnt utility on MathSource.

http://www.mathsource.com/Content/Enhancements/Graphics/General/0210-519

There is a snippet of code that is included with the toolkit that
allows you to call a Mathematica function which does the font
embedding automatically.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com