Re: Manipulating List Elements In Programs

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23968] Re: Manipulating List Elements In Programs
  • From: "Atul Sharma" <atulksharma at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 03:00:50 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

When you use Delete this way, you haven't actually redefined your list z. As
in this example, z hasn't been changed.

In
z= {a, b, c, d};
Delete[z, 3]

Out
{a, b, d}
{a, b, c, d}

What you really want to do is redefine the list, as in

In
z=Delete[z,3]

Out
{a, b, d}
{a, b, d}

In you case, you may also find z=Rest[z] a convenient way to trim element 1
from the list.

Atul

Atul Sharma MD, FRCP(C)
Pediatric Nephrologist,
McGill University/Montreal Children's Hospital