using downloaded notebooks

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22404] using downloaded notebooks
  • From: davido at ultimanet.com (David Orange)
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 00:39:52 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Howdy,

I'm a HS math teacher and want to graph inequalities (e.g. shaded
half-planes and intersections).

I *thought* Poster 98-4.nb from the Wolfram education site would do the
trick.  Problem is, whenever I try to evaluate the notebook (Mathematica 2.2
non-FP for Macintosh), I get the following:

Syntax::newl:
   The newline character after "    \(y[x] \[Rule] "
     is understood as a multiplication operator.

Syntax::sntufn:
   Invalid Unicode Full Name
    ShowTable[{k, \[ExponentialE]\^\(3  k\.

Syntax::sntxf:
   "    \" cannot be followed by
    "(\(ShowTable[{k, \[Expone<<29>>, 8\ Digits]; ".

I also get error messages of this ilk w/ other downloaded notebooks.
Since it already has an .nb extension, it should run 'stock out of the
box', right?

Any ideas on how to get this to work (or other inequality plotting
packages/notebooks)?
TIA,
David