Re: Miscellaneous

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22480] Re: [mg22429] Miscellaneous
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 00:24:15 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Bob,

WRI does seem to update the physical constants. At least I noticed that they changed
slightly from Version 3 to Version 4. Perhaps someone at WRI will inform us of their
source and how often they are updated.

I have written an extension to the Units package called ExtendUnits. There are
separate packages for Version 3 and Version 4, but the Version 3 package is falling
behind. Among other things the package offers the following features:

1) You can convert to multiple compatible units at once.
2) You can parse to compatible descending units such as Day, Minute, Second.
3) It adds a new output PrefixForm which will automatically select the correct SI
prefix.
4) You can specify output format at the same time as conversion.
5) You can convert everything to BaseSI units.
6) You can "deunitize" expressions in a controlled manner so as to obtain expressions
with implied input and output units. These can then be used in plotting or numerical
work.
7) You can define your own units and use them just like regular Mathematica units.
This also allows the definition of synonyms such as GeV for Giga ElectronVolt, or mph
for Mile/Hour.
8) A companion package ReducedUnits allows the introduction of unit systems where
certain physical constants are set equal to 1. Examples would be geometrized units or
atomic units.

The packages may be obtained from my web site.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/