Re: ListPlot with missing values

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22419] Re: ListPlot with missing values
  • From: Roy Mendelssohn <rmendels at pfeg.noaa.gov>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 00:40:15 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

First, thanks to all who answered.  I clearly didn't explain the problem
carefully enough.  Assume we are plotting a time series with missing
data, and only want to conect consecutive points that have data, have
blanks whenever a time point is missing, and still want points lined up
correctly in time on the x axis.  If I just delete cases, then the
endpoints of any missing segment will be connected, rather than being
blank.

In the example

alist = {{1, 1}, {2, 3}, {3,5},{4,}, {5, 6}, {6,8},{7,}, {8,10},{9, 12}}

I want a line joing the first three points, then a blank, then a line
connecting the next two points, then a blank etc.

The reason I mentioned the number of datapoints is because one solution
is to draw a graph for each uninterrupted segment of the time series,
and then overlay them.  This seems inelegant,because several hundred
separate graphs might have to be drawn.

If anyone else has other suggestions I would welcome them.

-Roy M.