Re: Creation of file.m

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22397] Re: Creation of file.m
  • From: paulh at wolfram.com (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 00:39:45 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <89cec8$bt1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Bill Marks <bmarks at helix.nih.gov> writes:

> Recently I found from this group how to create file.m from file.nb if
> I didn't do it initially.  I thought the method was to select the
> notebook and use Format/Options to set
> NotebookOptions/FileOptions/AutoGeneratedPackage to Automatic.  I
> think this is what worked for me last week.  Now in a similar
> notebook having initialization cells this does not work.  When set
> AutoGeneratedPackage to Automatic,  Evaluate Initialization and save
> the notebook, no file.m appears.  What have I forgotten?
>
> By the way, why can we access the apparently same info through
> Edit/Preferences and Format/Options?

You may have forgotten the significance of the scope settings
on the Option Inspector dialog.  If you access the dialog through
the menu command Format -> Option Inspector, the Option Inspector
will appear with the scope indicator set to "selection".  This
scope is of relevance only when you have selected a cell, a group
of cells, or the contents of a cell.

It is most likely that changing the value of AutoGeneratedPackage
with the "selection" scope setting has no effect.  You need to
change the scope indicator to "notebook" to have the option
applied to the notebook itself.

Clicking on the Edit -> Preferences menu command summons the
Option inspector dialog with the scope set to "global", so
it is not totally correct to equate this with the Format ->
Option Inspector menu command.

If the concept of option scope and inheritance is unfamiliar
to you, please read over the following references.

http://documents.wolfram.com/v4/MainBook/2_10/S2.10.8.html
http://smc.vnet.net/mathgroup/archive/mg19458

--
P.J. Hinton