Re: How to change the default setting of BarChart?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22418] Re: [mg22394] How to change the default setting of BarChart?
  • From: BobHanlon at aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 00:40:14 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Needs["Graphics`Graphics`"];
Needs["Statistics`DataManipulation`"];
Needs["Statistics`NormalDistribution`"];

To change the width of the bars, use GeneralizedBarChart

mu = 10*(Random[] - 0.5);
sigma = 4*Random[];
nbrPts = 200;
data = RandomArray[NormalDistribution[mu, sigma], nbrPts];
xmin = Min[Min[data], mu - 3sigma];
xmax = Max[Max[data], mu + 3sigma];
nbrBars = 15;
intrvl = (xmax - xmin)/nbrBars;
freq = Take[BinCounts[data, {xmin, xmin + nbrBars*intrvl, intrvl}],
        nbrBars]/(nbrPts*intrvl);
midPts = Table[xmin + (k - 1/2)*intrvl, {k, nbrBars}];
widths = Table[intrvl, {nbrBars}];

Show[{GeneralizedBarChart[Transpose[{midPts, freq, widths}],
        DisplayFunction -> Identity],
      Plot[PDF[NormalDistribution[mu, sigma], x], {x, xmin, xmax},
        PlotStyle -> {AbsoluteThickness[2], Hue[.6]},
        DisplayFunction -> Identity]}, DisplayFunction -> $DisplayFunction,
    Frame -> True, Axes -> False];

To change the y-axis use the option PlotRange

    PlotRange -> {ymin, ymax}

Bob Hanlon