Re: help browser selection highlight problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22521] Re: [mg22474] help browser selection highlight problem
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 03:24:13 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi, Gregory.

After playing around a bit, I figured out how exactly what's going on
here.  We had never seen this during inhouse testing, but that's
because the effect you describe only occurs when you have the screen
set to 8-bit color depth (i.e. 256 colors).  You can change the color
depth by adjusting the "Colors" dropdown in the Settings tab of the
Display control panel.  The effect you describe does not appear at any
color depth except for 8-bit (and, if it doesn't require lowering
your monitor resolution, you probably want a higher color depth anyway).
I'll look into fixing this for a future release of Mathematica.

I should note as an aside that we've tested Mathematica 4 under Windows
2000 inhouse, and I've been running it on my own system for about
six weeks now (plus another 6 weeks running Release Candidate 0).
Our experience is that Windows 2000 is a great environment to run
Mathematica in, and we've discovered no problems (beyond the one you've
so deftly uncovered) specific to the shipping versions of Windows 2000.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group