Re: Graphing Functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22539] Re: [mg22476] Graphing Functions
  • From: Otto Linsuain <linsuain+ at andrew.cmu.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 03:24:25 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

 Hi Julian. I am not sure that the problem here is Mathematica, but
mathematics. There are several branches to the function x^(1/3), here is
a table of what is going on:

 Branch      Phase of x          Phase of x^(1/3)

  1.          0 for x>0            0 for x>0     Real positive
              Pi for x<0           Pi/3 for x<0  Not real

   2.        2Pi for x>0           2Pi/3 for x>0  Not Real
             3Pi for x<0            Pi for x<0    Real negative

   3.        4Pi for x>0           4Pi/3 for x>0  Not real
             5Pi for x<0           5Pi/3 for x<0  Not real

 So Mathematica cannot choose ONE branch that would yield a real number
for x^(1/3) for all x, both positive and negative. Or, in other words,
the real function that is equal to x^(1/3) for positive x and to
-(|x|^(1/3)) for negative x is not a continuous function of the phase of
x in the complex plane. Perhaps you can force Mathematica to plot the
function for positive x, then to plot another branch for negative x and
then Show both graphs together, or define the function by parts.

 You may want to look at this graph:

 Plot[{Re[x^(1/3)],Im[x^(1/3)]},{x,-10,10}] it will plot both the real
and imaginary parts in one graph. Otto Linsuain.

Excerpts from mail: 8-Mar-100 [mg22476] Graphing Functions by "Julian P.
Charko"@telus