MathLink Speed.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22584] MathLink Speed.
  • From: "Francois Guimbretiere" <francois at cs.stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 17:52:54 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi All,
  I am using MathLink to transfer Graphics3D object to a high resolution
experimental display and  I am somewhat surprised by the speed of the link. For
example, it takes 1.1 seconds to transfer the graphic object generated by
SphericalPlot3D[1,{theta,0,Pi,Pi/20},{phi,0,Pi,Pi/35}]. This graphic object
contains about 1800 polygons. (For this test, I was running both Mathematica 4.0
for Student and the external program on a quad-processor machine NT 4.0. The
link was created using -linkcreate on the external program side). My
understanding is that by default the link is using FileMap. Doing the math, it
seems that the bandwidth is extremely low for this kind of RPC. Are these
results typical? Am I doing something wrong?
  Is there any trick that can be used to speed up MathLink protocol?

Francois.